Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cheap Words


Show Me (written by Alan Jay Lerner) 

Freddy:

Speak and the world is full of singing,
And I'm winging Higher than the birds.
Touch and my heart begins to crumble,
The heaven's tumble, Darling, and I'm...

Eliza:

Words! Words! Words! I'm so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do?
Don't talk of stars Burning above; If you're in love,
Show me! Tell me no dreams
Filled with desire. If you're on fire,
Show me! Here we are together in the middle of the night!
Don't talk of spring! Just hold me tight!
Anyone who's ever been in love'll tell you that
This is no time for a chat! Haven't your lips
Longed for my touch? Don't say how much,
Show me! Show me! Don't talk of love lasting through time.
Make me no undying vow. Show me now!
Sing me no song! Read me no rhyme!
Don't waste my time, Show me!
Don't talk of June, Don't talk of fall!
Don't talk at all! Show me!
Never do I ever want to hear another word.
There isn't one I haven't heard.
Here we are together in what ought to be a dream;
Say one more word and I'll scream!
Haven't your arms Hungered for mine?
Please don't "expl'ine," Show me! Show me!
Don't wait until wrinkles and lines
Pop out all over my brow,
Show me now!

I have always found words to be unnecessary. Words are easy, whereas actions are harder, and are more truer proof of feelings than any poetry or gifts or untried promises. 
http://www.sanitaryum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cupid-valentines-day1.gif
I can't fight with genetics. My family splits right down the middle; those who place more emphasis on Hallmark mush and the other that prefer less talk, more action. 

Ta is of the Hallmark camp. While he has purchased many cards, flowers, and financed a bling or two in his time, Ma (the romance hater) has a different idea of what was the most touching gesture he ever made. It happened probably 35 years ago; they were in the mountains, at some sort of run-down hotel, and my maternal grandparents were on their way, except their bathroom was overflowing with sewage. Ta tackled the mess.

She still gets teary-eyed over that. Because he did something unappealing, difficult, and downright gross for her. A bouquet of roses? That's easy. To show true devotion, that's in the hard stuff. It's no different in religion. Oh, sure, you love Me when I do miracles for you. Can you love Me when nature kicks in? 

Ugh, romance. It has no appeal for me. Sweet nothings, pooh. Candle-lit dinners, meh. Flowers, no thank you. I pray no man buys me jewelry without my input first. Never mind input; it'll be a solo endeavor.

A man who takes out the garbage occasionally without grumbling? Who will forgo his Shabbos nap to help with the kids? Will valiantly defend me if his mother sniffs at my cholent?

I would be able to gaze at him with stars in my eyes while Disney-princess songs squeal in the background. 

3 comments:

JerusalemStoned said...

Ah, but a man who takes out the garbage while holding a rose in his teeth and dancing the salsa?

Priceless.

And okay, maybe a little weird.

Lost and Found said...

Lol JS

I think both are very important. Words and presents are a good start, and the actions are the way of proving that the words and presents have value. I think presents are a form of action and shouldn't be casually dismissed.

Princess Lea said...

JS: Oh, how I laughed. I think the rose in the mouth is the tango, but I personally prefer the paso doble. Click those heels!

LF: Except I have rarely received a present that was what I actually wanted. "Oh, you bought me a bracelet, a style which I totally loathe." I can't stand wasted money. Now if he said, "Let's go to the jewelry store," mmmm, romance.