Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Battle of the Bulge: No Snacking

I did not realize to what extent, until I read this article, how snacking is a basis for childhood. 

For both morning and afternoon recess, children are armed with snacks. Whenever I take kinfauna somewhere I grab a baggie of something to keep them quiet. Then I shouldn't be surprised when they harass me constantly at home for snacks, usually following a hefty Shabbos meal, or right when I have FINALLY sat down.

I certainly have learned that I, personally, cannot snack; it is the slippery slope to constant munching. I had to deprogram myself to stop expecting mid-morning and -afternoon snacks; it certainly paid off weight-wise. (For me, this kept me on the straight and narrow; however, everyone is geared differently, and some need that snack to ensure no overeating).

Rose's hypothesis is that the French do not provide their children with regular snacks, and we all know how the French have low obesity rates (at least, that is what everyone says).

If a child is supposedly hungry, it is not the end of the world if they wait until the next meal; it does not qualify as child abuse. The French want their kids to be hungry for a meal, which is a guarantee they will eat well. Considering how the kinfauna never eat a meal when they are supposed to (always before or after, but never during), she's got a point.

So if kids aren't supposed to snack, I'm guessing adults shouldn't be, either; she says the jury is still out on those "frequent little meals" diets. Even if they are healthy, those unnecessary calories can really add up.

If I don't give those kiddies snacks, maybe they would actually eat their meals when they are supposed to, and let me sit down every once in a while. 

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and make sure they're square.    

8 comments:

Defying Gravity said...

Are those pictures supposed to representative of actual meals?

That's a whole lot more food than I consume in a day & I still struggle...

Princess Lea said...

In no way! I was just looking for a photo that reflected meals.

I certainly can't eat as much as they show there either.

aminspiration said...

its true,when i was a counselor in camp there was one french family and they did not allow their kids to have snacks. so at snack time these kids just had to read or something..i always felt bad

that being said, i know for myself if i didnt have my veggie snacks during the day..i would not last between meals, mainly because there is so much time between my meal.

Maya Resnikoff said...

If I didn't snack, I'd end up over-eating during meals. At least right now, I seem to be best on a "light meals+light snacks" kind of eating plan. I guess everyone's stomach is different- makes it hard to deal with in very standardized settings, like camp or school.

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

I must disagree.
The best method for healthy eating is to have three smaller meals and a small snack in between breakfast and lunch to prevent your body from slipping into ketosis.
It's not the snack, it's what you snack on that matters!

Princess Lea said...

As I said, for me, personally, once I start snacking I don't stop; it makes me hungrier.

As I also said, everyone is geared differently. American culture is big on snacking, but it doesn't have to be a given.

tovah said...

Add me to the list of people that must have a snack. Once my blood sugar gets low, I've got to have something with a little protein and a little fat. This really does help so that I'm not ravenous by the time the meal comes.

If I eat something sugary, I will definitely come crashing down at some point.

Princess Lea said...

I love sugar, but I had to wean myself off of it; I only have a piece of cake or chocolate on the weekends. It was hard (I used to always need sweet after a meal) but now I get that with fruit.